Wedding in Nature

Everything you need to know. Everything you need to do. For A Successful Marriage.

What are minimum legal requirements to get married in Australia ?

To get married in Australia, you must:

  1. Not be married to anyone else at the time you are getting married to another person.

  2. Not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister (this includes by adoption also).

  3. You must be at least 18 years old, unless a court has approved your marriage, where one person is between 16 years and 18 years old. Approval will not be given if both people are younger than 16 years of age.

  4. You are freely able to consent and understand the process of getting married. Please note: surprise weddings are NOT LEGAL and CANNOT be conducted as both people MUST have consented ahead of time.

  5. We will need to use specific words during the marriage ceremony to adhere to legal requirements.

  6. You will need to complete Notice of Intention to Marry, within the required time and submit this to Kara Zmatiq (details for this below).

What are the steps I need to take to get legally married in Australia ?
Drag Queen Celebrant Southern Highlands

Step 1: Complete Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

The first thing you need to do is fill out a Notice Of Intended Marriage (NOIM). If you are having trouble completing this required form, you can book your initial consultation time with Kara Zmatiq to go through this process with you electronically.

You will need to satisfy the minimum requirements with your Marriage Celebrant, that you and your partner are who you say you are.

As your celebrant, Kara Zmatiq will require to see the following evidence:

  1. Australian Passport or a Passport from another Country. You can use a passport that has expired within the previous five (5) years, but you cannot use your passport as evidence if it has been cancelled or it has expired. If you do not have a passport, you can provide your driver's licence and birth certificate as evidence of your place and date of birth and evidence of your identity.

  2. Evidence of your divorce from or of the death of a previous spouse, if either of you were previously married. If either of you have been married more than once, then you only need to provide evidence of the divorce from or the death of your most recent spouse.

What are the marriage terms used in the NOIM ?

Both people participating in the marriage need to tick one of three boxes that best describes them: ‘groom’, ‘bride’ or ‘partner’.


It is the responsibility of each party to decide which option they want to use to describe themselves.


For example, it’s completely fine for a person who identifies as a male to tick ‘bride’ or a person who identifies as a female to tick “groom”.

Who can I ask to sign the NOIM ?

Normally the couples that Kara Zmatiq works with, submit the NOIM with us and therefore we are able to witness signatures and complete the 2nd page at the same time, to authorise the NOIM.

Step 2: Declaration of no legal impediment to marriage

Signing of the declaration of NO legal impediment to marriage before your marriage takes plac

The couple will need to sign the Declaration of NO Legal Impediment to Marriage (DONLIM) as close as possible to your wedding day as possible.

The DONLIM is a legal declaration that both people are of legal marriageable age, are not in a prohibited relationship, are not married to someone else and are not aware of any other legal impediment to this marriage taking place. Often, we get you to sign the DONLIM at a wedding rehearsal within the week before your wedding.

Drag Queen Celebrant Southern Highlands
Dragqueen celebrant kara zmatiq
The Certificates of Marriage and the different obligations including witnesses

Step 3: Complete Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

Signing of the declaration of NO legal impediment to marriage before your marriage takes plac

On the day of your wedding, you will need two (2) people who are aged 18 years and over, who understand English and who can participate in your wedding ceremony as your witnesses. They do not need to provide us with evidence of their age or identity.


Immediately after your marriage ceremony, you, your two witnesses and Kara Zmatiq will sign three marriage certificates. Two (2) of these are the Official Certificate of Marriage and the other is a Certificate of Marriage (also called a Presentation Certificate). After you, your two (2) witnesses and Kara Zmatiq have signed all three certificates, Kara Zmatiq will hand you the Certificate of Marriage - it is a record of your marriage that you can keep.


Kara Zmatiq will provide your paperwork (the NOIM, the Declaration and one of the Official Certificates of Marriage) to the Registry Of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the Australian State or Territory where your marriage took place, so they can register your marriage officially.

Kara Zmatiq ( I Do Queen, ABN 74 539 906 219 ) will keep one copy of the Official Certificate of Marriage in a secure place for six (6) years. Professionally we always apply for a copy of our marriage certificate on your behalf and you will receive an email requesting payment for this.

Drag Queen Celebrant Southern Highlands
Drag Queen Celebrant Southern Highlands